- What is your name and what city do you rep? My name is Garvey G and I rep Brooklyn New York
- What is unique about you and your music? My music is unique because I am artistically very flexible, and I produce and write all my art, and I make everything from my mind heart and soul. The fact that I'm 16 and have constant stamina that I'm able to use properly and spread around is something that also sets me apart from my peers.
- What shaped your music? Growing up in New York and all over the country, not staying in one place and learning about different local cultures really helped shape my sound. I find formulas used by old jazz and R&B musicians such as Miles Davis and Marvin Gaye, and apply them to modern artists like Kendrick Lamar, Pop Smoke, Young Thug. Then exact that formula and make it my own.
- When did you realize you were going to make music professionally? I've always wanted to be a professional musician, but it wasn't till 2017 when reality of my situation came in and I decided I need to come up with a sturdy, long term plan. After my best friend PJ got shot to death right next to me, made me hide out and find a passion I could use the rest of my life.
- What type of music do you listen to? I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop like Digable Planets, ATCQ, and Wu Tang but I love my generation too, like Benny the Butcher and Westside Gunn, to Pop Smoke, Polo G, and Flipp Dinero. But I also listen to older Jazz, Mowtown, Afrobeat, and Dancehall.
- Who, to you, is the most undervalued music artist? I think J Dilla, No I.D. , and Brian Jackson are producers who haven't gotten proper recognition. But Sheff G is my Brooklyn brother that I really wish had more attention.
- How do you prepare for your performances? I try to engage every single one of my audience members. Before I see them. I try to build my energy in the venue before I come out. I might even pray and text some family.
- What ignites your (song) writing flow? Anything I see or feel influences my music. Sometimes I get really influenced by a book, or a person or a documentary. When I can get an aesthetic rolling it ignites my writing process. Sometimes if I fear the vibe won't last. I get in the booth and freestyle off the top.
- What do you do when you don't do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about? I like to take a look around my community whether I'm in NY, Cali, VA, Arizona, or DC. And think about how I can leave my footprint. I also like reading, especially about black leaders and African history. I always do my best to provide for the people I care about and I get money any way I can to make sure my family and friends are fed if they can't feed themselves. I generally enjoy taking on those tasks, because sometimes I don't have a choice. Listening to music and meeting new people to help my creative thinking is always a must. Lastly, clothes. pyer moss, timberlands, jordans. Always trying to get them in my closet.
- Success to you is... Success to me is having a sustainable career to feed my family and having everything I need and a third, because of what I do. And reaching out to millions and have them all look up to me, and setting a new bar for music and culture.
- What do you wish you were told when you first started rapping that you think would help anyone recently starting artists out? Nobody owes you A THING. Don't get mad when the shit you write is trash, not everyone will share your stuff at first, and sometimes the closest people to you won't support you till you redeem yourself. So don't give up if this is truly what you want to do for the rest of your life. This shouldn't be a cash and dash game, think about making every song a masterpiece. While still getting people's attention. Also, if you want to start rapping you don't need to join a gang. That's corny. And seriously, please, be original.
- Any upcoming projects? I got a new single coming out featuring Flex Finesse, Don Boogie, and KRWN (Doodlebug from Digable Planet's son.) I also see a mixtape coming out by 2020. And another joint called King.
- Where do we find you music / music project? My soundcloud "Garvey G" and my youtube "Ilah X" soon to change to Garvey G. I'll also start releasing more singles on my Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and pretty much any major streaming service.